This derringer is in fair condition showing bluing wear. The firing pin is missing as well. There is no crack in the barrel hinge. The top of the barrels are marked “Remington Arms-U.M.C. CO Ilion, NY.” The serial number range is 3xx.
|Frame Material||NOT SPECIFIED|
|Slide Material||NOT SPECIFIED|
|Barrel Length||3 BARREL|
|Receiver Material||NOT SPECIFIED|
|Receiver Finish||NOT SPECIFIED|
The Remington Model 95 is a double-barrel pocket pistol commonly recognized as a deringer. The design was little changed during a production run of nearly 70 years through several financial reorganizations of the manufacturer causing repeating serial number sequences. Guns were offered with engraving or plain blued or nickel-plated finish with grips of metal, walnut, rosewood, hard rubber, ivory or pearl.
The Remington Double Derringer was made from 1866 to 1935. Production prior to 1869 had no extractors. The first 100 Double Derringers have “Manufactured by E. REMINGTON & SONS, ILION, N.Y.” stamped on the right side of the barrel and “ELLIOT’S PATENT DEC. 12, 1865” stamped on the left side of the barrel. (This refers to firearms inventor William H. Elliot’s U.S. Patent 51,440, “Improvement in Many-Barreled Fire-Arms”, which describes the key features of the original design in some detail.) After the first 100, the “manufactured by” was no longer stamped between the barrels. There are a few DDs with the marking, “Remington’s Ilion NY USA” but there is no known reason for this marking. About serial 1600, an extractor was installed on the left side, between the barrels. After about serial 2400, the marking was put on the top of the barrels in two lines. “E. REMINGTON & SONS, ILION, N.Y.; ELLIOT’S PATENT DEC. 12th 1865.” This is the Second Model, and is called the “Two Line,” by collectors. The barrel rib top inscription changed to “REMINGTON ARMS CO. ILION N.Y.” in 1888, this is the Third Model. In 1911 the marking was changed to, “REMINGTON ARMS – U.M.C. CO. ILION, N.Y.” In 1921, Remington adapted a number system for every model. At this time the Double Derringer became the Model 95.